1. Everyone in the bank-including the manager and the tellers, ran to the door when the fire alarm rang.
a. tellers, ran
c. tellers, had run
e. tellers’ ran”
2. To no ones surprise, Joe didn’t have his homework ready.
a. no ones surprise
b. noones surprise
c. no-ones surprise
d. no ones’ surprise
e. no one’s surprise
3. If he would have read “The White Birds,” he might have liked William Butler
a. would have read
b. could have read
c. would of read
d. could of read
e. had read
4. After the hurricane, uprooted trees were laying all over the ground.
a. were laying
c. were lying
d. were laid
e. was laid
5. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882), the great Transcendentalist philosopher, wrote
in his essay “Self-Reliance” of the need for an individual to develop his
a. essay “ Self –Reliance “
b. essay, “Self-Reliance”
c. essay: Self Reliance
d. essay, Self Reliance
e. essay, “ Self Reliance “
6. The recently built children’s amusement park has been called “ a boon to the
community “ by its supporters and “an eyesore” by its harshest critics.
a. and “an eyesore” by its harshest
b. and, “ an eyesore,” by its harshest
c. and, an eyesore; by its harshest
d. and-an eyesore- by its’ harshest
e. and-“an eyesore”- by its’ harshest
7. I always have trouble remembering the meaning of these two common verbs, affect
(to change” or “to influence”) and effect (“to cause” or “ to accomplish ) . “
a. “ to accomplish ). “
b. “ to accomplish” ).
c. “to accomplish).
d. To accomplish.
e. ( “ to accomplish. “ )
8. My class just finished reading- “ The Fall of the House of Usher “, a short
story by Edgar Allen Poe.
a. reading- “ The Fall of the House of Usher” ,
b. reading, The Fall of the House of Usher,
c. reading “The Fall of the House of Usher, “
d. reading, The Fall of the house of Usher, “
e. reading: The Fall of the House of Usher-
9. After it was repaired it ran perfect again.
a. ran perfect
b. ran perfectly
c. could run perfect
d. could of run perfect
e. would run perfectly
10. "Are there two e’s in beetle," asked Margo?
a. there two e’s in beetle," asked Margo?
b. their two e’s in beetle?" asked Margo.
c. there two e’s in beetle," asked Margo?
d. there two e’s in beetle?" asked Margo.
e. there two e’s in beetle, asked Margo?